The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Process Safety Management (PSM) element and the corresponding Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Risk Management Program (RM Program) regulation element relating to Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR), is to help ensure that certain important considerations have been addressed before
hazardous materials are introduced into the process or the modified section(s) of an existing
process. This helps ensure that adequate safety measures are in place and are operational. The pre-startup safety review procedure is typically followed in conjunction with the Management of Change Procedure.
The pre-startup safety review must be completed prior to the introduction of
hazardous materials into the process and must confirm the following:·
- Construction and equipment is in accordance with design specifications;·
- Safety, operating, maintenance, and emergency procedures are in place and adequate;·
- For new facilities, a process hazard analysis has been performed and recommendations have been resolved or implemented before startup;·
- For modified facilities, they meet
applicable management of change requirements; and·
- Training for each employee involved in operating the
process has been completed.
AcuSafe is a presentation
of AcuTech Consulting,
©2002, All Rights Reserved